Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Pennsylvania man charged with flying drone over Baltimore stadium during AFC championship game -Capitatum
Rekubit-Pennsylvania man charged with flying drone over Baltimore stadium during AFC championship game
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 01:14:40
BALTIMORE (AP) — A Pennsylvania man has been charged with illegally flying a drone over Baltimore’s M&T Bank Stadium during the AFC championship game between the Ravens and RekubitKansas City Chiefs last month, prompting security to temporarily suspend the game, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Maryland announced Monday.
Matthew Hebert, 44, of Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, was charged with three felony counts related to operating an unregistered drone, serving as an airman without a certificate and violating national defense airspace on Jan. 28.
Drones are barred from flying within 3 miles (5 kilometers) of stadiums that seat at least 30,000 people during events including NFL and MLB games, and in the hour before they start and after they end, according to the Federal Aviation Administration. In November, the administration said it would investigate a drone that briefly delayed a Ravens-Bengals game.
Maryland State troopers followed the unidentified and unapproved drone to a nearby neighborhood where it landed and found Hebert, who admitted to operating the drone, FBI Special Agent David Rodski wrote in an affidavit. Hebert told troopers and FBI agents that he bought the drone online in 2021 and used an app to operate it, but he didn’t have any training or a license to operate a drone.
Hebert, who was wearing a Ravens jersey was visiting the home of friends in Baltimore for the football game, said he didn’t know about restrictions around the stadium during the game, according to the affidavit. The app previously had prevented Hebert from operating the drone due to flight restrictions, so while he was surprised that he could operate it, he assumed he was allowed to fly it.
Hebert flew the drone about 100 meters (330 feet) or higher for about two minutes, capturing six photos of himself and the stadium and may have taken a video too, but he didn’t know that his flight had disrupted the game until he was approached by a trooper, according to the affidavit.
Reached by telephone on Tuesday, Hebert declined to comment.
If convicted, Hebert faces a maximum of three years in federal prison for knowingly operating an unregistered drone and for knowingly serving as an airman without an airman’s certificate. He faces a maximum of one year in federal prison for willfully violating United States national defense airspace. An initial appearance and arraignment are expected to be scheduled later this month.
veryGood! (834)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Retrial of military contractor accused of complicity at Abu Ghraib soon to reach jury
- Big Ten, Boise State, Clemson headline College Football Playoff ranking winners and losers
- Lake Elsinore Motorsports Park, where 9-year-old girl died in tragic accident, closes over lawsuit
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Meet Vice President-Elect JD Vance’s Family: His Mamaw, Wife, Kids and More
- Amanda Bynes Shares Glimpse Into Weight Loss Journey During Rare Life Update
- Mother charged after reportedly giving missing child to man during drug exchange
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Trump’s election could assure a conservative Supreme Court majority for decades
Ranking
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- AP VoteCast takeaways: Gender voting gap was unremarkable compared with recent history
- From facial hair to 'folksy': What experts say about the style of Harris, Walz, Trump and Vance
- The 'Men Tell All' episode of 'The Golden Bachelorette' is near. Who's left, how to watch
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Entourage Alum Adrian Grenier Expecting Baby No. 2 With Wife Jordan Roemmele
- Elon Musk, Cardi B and More Stars React to Donald Trump, Kamala Harris Election Results
- Influencer is banned from future NYC marathons for bringing a camera crew to last weekend’s race
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Michael J. Fox Shares Rare Photo of His and Tracy Pollan’s 23-Year-Old Daughter Esmé
Gov. Tim Walz will face new era of divided government in Minnesota
Election guru Steve Kornacki changes up internet-famous khakis look for election night 2024
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
Tre'Davious White trade grades: How did Rams, Ravens fare in deal?
Joe Biden's Granddaughter Naomi Biden Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby With Peter Neal
NFL trade deadline live updates: Latest rumors, news, analysis ahead of Tuesday cutoff